Thursday, January 26, 2012

Party Pants

Three posts in one day? What is the world coming to? I guess when we see who our new President is we will will know. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone (me) know that though I fail at motherhood far more often than I will ever admit, every once in a while I pull through. Our family has one boy barbie doll. He is King Dominic/Julian from Princess and the Pauper and he has been missing his pants for a while. I am not sure if they got ripped or lost but they have been gone and I don't enjoy looking at barbie boy bums so I told the girls (the little girls) they had to throw him away. They were heartbroken about losing their only boy barbie and I suggested they ask the older girls to sew him some pants. The older girls have a bag of scrap fabric and they hand sew all sorts of interesting little things. Mia looked at me with her big, innocent (yeah right), trusting eyes and said, "why don't you knit him some, you can make anything." How could I refuse? (princess and the pauper watchers are now congratulating me on that last witty line). I am not a skilled enough knitter to make pants from scratch but I thought I might be able to crochet some so I got out my horn and did some improvising and made the best pair home made boy barbie pants I have ever seen (the only pair too). I was terribly impressed with myself, enough that I took a picture of the new and spectacularly dressed Julian and here it is:
All those years of crocheting have paid off. Now the funny part is that Liam saw the pants and asked me if I could make him a pair of pants he could put on two of his fingers to pretend they were legs (where does that boy get these ideas?). I had taught him to crochet but he wasn't terribly interested so I told him that if he made two squares I would turn them into pants for him. He made the squares, I made the pants and he was doing the can can with his fingers in no time. That is what I love about being a mom. The absolutely absurd but wonderful moments where your son is doing the can can with his home made pants clad fingers.

1 comment:

erin said...

I love the pants and hats too. I am very impressed. Sorry about Evie's arm. Reminds me of Dane's broken leg except we didn't need 2 surgeries. Miss you guys.