Thursday, January 26, 2012

On the day after Christmas my daughter gave to me:


A stressful day of injury and urgent care.


So I kept telling myself that if I could just get through Christmas I would have week where I could relax for just a bit before getting back into school, activities, and more home improvement projects. My daughter must have heard me talking to myself one of those times and decided to thwart my plans (that is why children are born isn't it (yes I know I shouldn't say things like that)). The morning after Christmas Evie was getting off the bed (jumping off the bed? I wonder) and fell and hurt her arm. She is usually a pretty tough cookie (she has to be considering her crazy nature and inherited clumsiness) so the fact that she was still crying a half hour later and wouldn't let anyone anywhere near her arm clued me in that we had an urgent care visit in our future. I made Aaron take her since he was home and I almost always have to do those type visits and he came home with the expected diagnosis of a broken arm. She broke it right above the elbow which I thought was odd but I guess more common that I knew. Anyway, they splinted and wrapped the arm and I was supposed to go to a pediatric bone guy to get it casted the next day. More bad luck, when we saw the bone guy he said that something had moved (I am not a scientist and cannot say exactly what that something was but I could locate it on the xray if asked) and if she didn't have surgery to move it and then put pins in to keep it there she would not be able to bend her arm more than 90 degrees ( like shaking a hand). If you think about it that means she wouldn't be able to comb her hair, eat food, or pick her nose with that hand so I decided to do the surgery.

I was nervous about the anesthesia because my Mom reacts strongly to anesthesia sometimes but the surgery wasn't too bad other than the fact that it took her a really long time to wake up and then she was really upset for a couple hours. The three weeks after were annoying. The cast was huge and she couldn't get most of her shirts on over it. Her coat had zip on sleeves (thank goodness) so we removed one sleeve. Anyway, I was super excited for her to get the pins out and the cast off last Friday but the excitement wasn't over. Evie had a cold going into the surgery and I think a combination of that and being a redhead (redheads and anesthesia don't mix well) and the genes where what caused her to throw up during the surgery which led to chest xrays and 2 hours of monitoring afterward. Right as we thought she was good to go she suddenly spiked a 103 fever that took a couple hours to control with tylenol and Mydol. She narrowly missed an ambulance ride to a pediatric ER but the fever did go down. The cause of the fever is officially a mystery but I think her body had been through too many shocks that morning and was fighting back the only way it knew how. Anyway, our fun first broken arm experience is almost over (one more doc visit tomorrow) and as long as she doesn't get pneumonia (no sights of it yet, knock on wood) from the throwing up under anesthesia thing I am hoping we are home free.

No comments: